Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Cut Above?


Thanks to my friend Bozoette for tuning me in Shear Genius on Bravo. Bozoette pointed me to an episode where the winner used grass shears (in the picture above) to cut the hairstyle. Last night Bravo was showing past episodes and I caught the one where Evangelin had to use the shears as part of a challenge. Of course I got hooked on it, quickly learned the names of all the contestants, and I now have my favorites. Evangelin (the girl who won using the shears), is not my favorite and I watched her get eliminated last night. Well it was probably the week before since it was a repeat, but she deserved to go. She continued to use those shears to cut the models hair during the challenges and saw nothing wrong with it. The other contestants totally slammed her and I agree with them. She is not Edward Scissorhands and they are not a styling tool. Her argument was that they use all kinds of other tools for cutting hair. Hello Evangelin! Those are MADE for cutting hair. Some people just don't get it.

In every competition reality show there is that one person who is rude, crude and full of himself. Top Chef had Marcel, Top Design had Michael and now Shear Genius has Tyson. Ok, first of all, who names their child Tyson? Personally, I don't want to be named after chicken. He is the one that nobody wants to win, the one everyone tries to sabotage and will probably be the one that gets into the top 3 or top 2. I never understand how that happens, but then I'm not a judge.

I do have to say that some of these models are pretty brave to come on and let these stylists cut, color and maybe even destroy their hair in hopes of winning the challenge of the day. I watched Dr. Boogie cut the redheaded model's hair shorter, shorter, shorter until even Rene said "You are going to be the first person to make the mullet fashionable". I don't know how he did it, but she didn't look that bad. She's just lucky that her hair will grow back. My favorites right now are Tabatha, Anthony and Danna (pronouced as "Donna"). They seem to really "get" what the judges are looking for in each challenge and execute it well. I can't wait to see who was eliminated during the 10:00 episode last night. I had to record it because, well... LOST was on at that time. And I CANNOT ever miss LOST. :)

1 comment:

bozoette said...

Okay, I won't tell!! It was an interesting challenge last night too - you'll be surprised I think!