Monday, June 4, 2007

Are you The Next...

...Food Network Star? Last night was the two-hour premiere and you know I just could not pull myself away. I even put it on my Yahoo! calendar so I wouldn't miss it. I love to watch the cooking shows even though I can't eat most of what they make. It's fun to watch their minds working and to see if they are going to work well together when they are put into teams.

I have to say that last night was the most entertaining cooking competition I have seen so far. First of all, to see the Food Network Stars being judges and hosts was just awesome. Iron Chef Bobby Flay was the guest host this week, and Duff from Ace of Cakes and Robert Irvine from Dinner Impossible were guests during the last two challenges. I love both those shows so seeing them was just awesome, as was their commentary on the contestants during the competition.

Duff was there for the wedding cake challenge which is a challenge that isn't fair for most of them. Trying to make a wedding cake is a huge undertaking, but a few of them came out on top. I loved Paul's cake with the two grooms on top which represented his own wedding cake if he ever has one. I cannot understand how Vivien and Rory totally missed the boat that it was supposed to be a wedding cake. Duff even said that he would love to bite into the cakes at the parties where they are being served, but not at a wedding. Robert Irvine then showed up to explain the next challenge...cater a wedding for 100 people in 6 hours!! The teams got $1,800 to cater the wedding. One team (the orange team) got a bonus of $500. And how much of that money was spent? Well, the orange team spent just under $800 because Colombe was so worried about how much everything costs that they didn't spend all of the money OR buy enough food. That became obvious when there was no food on the orange team table multiple times during the wedding reception. And at one point there were no orange team members there to serve, so Bobby Flay went over and worked the table with whatever food was left! The green team spent $1,150 of the $1,800 and definitely had enough food. Needless to say the green team won the challenge, but not everyone on the green team was safe.

Two people were sent home last night, so we are down to 9 contestants. I don't agree with Patrick being sent home, but I did agree with sending Vivien home. Part of the reason they chose Patrick is because they need someone with personality who can capture the audience and keep them interested. Unlike other cooking competitions, this person needs to be in front of the camera and keep people tuning in to their show. For now I am hoping that at least JAG, Paul, and Amy make it to the finals. I like Colombe for her organic cooking and think it would be a good show. I just hope she can develop her personality.

No comments: